All kinds of yum on a single jar…….
It’s an easy peasy recipe for breakfast time….and still so healthy and packed with so many nice nutrients!
This is the best way to use your greek yogurt leftovers, and I promise it won’t disappoint….
In 1900, the Swiss physician Maximilian Bircher-Brenner created this multi-nutritonal breakfast for his patients. In the beginning it was very popular in Switzerland and Germany but now this delicious morning goodie is very common everywhere! The main ingredients are usually apples, rolled oats and a lot of nuts and dried fruit on top.
In this recipe, I have used rosemary honey, which recently has become a favourite of mine. It is like sunshine on a jar! Light yellowish hues of strong sweet flavour…
Why is it so good and creamy? Simply because of the soaked oats. The different types of cereal mixed with the grated apple overnight bend together and transform themselves completely. They will absorb the juices from the apple and gain a light softer texture.
- 3 tablespoons of oats
- 1 tablespoon of barley
- 1 teaspoon of wheat bran
- 1 greek yogurt or natural yogurt
- 1 apple
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons of honey (I’ve used rosemary honey)
- In a bowl, start by grating the apple. Next, add all the cereal (oats, wheat bran and barley), the lemon juice and the yogurt. If you are doing the recipe beforehand leave the mixture in the fridge to soak overnight, but you can eat it right away as well. If you decide to refrigerate it, it will be worth the wait. You’ll get a creamier texture!
- When you’re ready to serve scatter over the chopped walnuts, the raisins and honey.
A real morning treat…