Let me introduce you to these gorgeous healthy carrot muffins…Surely, they are a feast for the eyes but there is so much more to them. They will make you salivate, too! They are moisty, tender, easy to bake and the best part? Well, just a bit of divine crunchy brittle!
I’m all about simple delicious recipes (especially treats!).
This is one of them. So, pull yourself together, stop staring at the fancy muffins above and turn that blender on! Yes! For this recipe, you basically have to add all the ingredients to your blender and puff… just puff. In the blink of an eye, you will have that carroty smell all around you and some warm muffins by your side. Double the recipe and share. They will love them and not even ask for a calorie count.
As they say, it takes two to tango and, in this recipe, it is all about apples and olive oil. They plot together to kick off the butter! Olive oil is loaded with good fats, antioxidants and essencial accids that bring moistness to the muffins; texture and sweetness are all the works of the apple!
This was my first attempt of making a healthy brittle and I have just nailed it. It only takes two minutes and two ingredients to make this goodness. I have used rosemary honey due to its subtle flavour. But you can use your own favourite. Just make sure, it doesn’t overpower the delicate carrot flavour.I’ve loved it so much that I have done it twice to keep in a jar. I have been adding it to my oatmeal or yogurt to get that extra-nutty crunch! The brittle will do nicely with any nut, so feel free to add pecans, pistachios or even shredded coconut for a tropical turnaround!
The dices were thrown and the hot muffins are waiting for us. Let’s skip the talking and get down to business!
- Bowl 1
- 2 carrots
- 1 apple
- 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin coconut oil
- ⅓ of brown sugar (or demerara sugar, or stevia)
- 3 eggs
- Bowl 2
- 1cup of whole wheat flour or spelt flour
- 1 cup of almond meal
- ½ tablespoon of baking powder
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons of sliced almonds
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Place bowl 1 into the blender (blend until mushy).
- Slowly, spoon by spoon, add bowl 2 and then let it blend again.
- Pour the batter into the prepared muffin tin and use an ice-cream scoop to fill equaly with batter.
- Bake for 15-17 min (do the toothpick test!)
- Bring the coconut oil and the honey to a boil and cook until thicken with a caramelized colour. Remove from heat and spread the mixture over the baking paper. Add the sliced almonds and place on the freezer for 10 min.
- Break the brittle in squares and put it on top of the MUFFINS!
- NOTE: IF YOU WANT YOU CAN MAKE THE BRITTLE ON THE MICROWAVE, JUST BE CAREFUL NOT TO LET IT OVERFLOW.