Can you imagine all the flavours of a strudel in a moisty texas sheet cake? I can! These big apple squares will enchant you at first sight.
A Rich, comforting cake…It’s healthy, easy-to bake and utterly enjoyable.
Light up the fireplace, gloves on…I’m just kidding! I know we’re in the middle of the summer but I promise this cake’ll make wish it was winter! Cold feet, hands freezing, and you know what? That cosy dense flavours on your mouth.
This recipe came up when I tried to make an apple strudel. I made the apple mixture and it was great but the pastry was really tough. So, I had to find another way to use the apple mixture. The final result looked similar to the Texas Sheet Cake, even though I didn’t use any frosting like the traditional one.
You start by preparing the apple mixture. It’s really easy to make, you can’t go wrong: first cover the apples in ground cinnamon, brown sugar and raisins, of course. Then, mix everything. There, the hard bit is done!
The best tip I can give you for this recipe is: just don’t forget the lemon, please. It prevents the apples from getting brown and it keeps their juices spot on.
Subscribe my newsletter and receive a free recipe + printable recipe card!
- 7 tablespoons of brown sugar
- ½ cup of nuts (almonds, walnuts)
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 4 apples
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- ½ cup of raisins
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup of coconut oil
- 6 tablespoons of coconut flour
- 4 tablespoons of spelt flour or whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Peel the apples, quarter and core them into small cubes. Add the lemon juice, 3 tablespoons of sugar, the nuts and the raisins (soaked in warm water for 10 min). Mix well with your hands.
- Pour the apple mixture evenly on a squared cake pan.
- In a separate bowl, whisk all the ingredients of the batter and pour into the pan.
- Bake the cake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow cake to cool for 10-15 min.
Serve it with my coconut ice cream ⇒ Chunky Ice Cream Sandwiches