Crispy, flaky crackers! I can already hear the crack. What about you? Crack! Crack!
These crackers feature one of my favourite ingredient: spelt flour. The seeds are a chain of crunchiness.
As much as I love an apple with some nuts for my morning snack, these days me and my stomach have been craving something a little different. CRACKERS! The undeniable truth is that for many of us some days just have to include CRACKERS! They’re the real deal. I prefer them in the morning with peanut butter or after a sweaty workout … Yum! Lucky for me, this is one of these days when I have everything thing ready for baking. So, after I finish writing this post, I’ll probably make another batch of these. Crack!
The good news is that these crackers are not only delicious but they also have a good amount of fiber, essential fats and protein! That’s a given: if you like to snack here and there, they’ll surely fill you through the day. Plus, they don’t have eggs and they’re totally dairy-free and sugarless. I almost forgot … You can adapt them to your taste and needs, with more or less herbs/spices and the seeds are completely customizable.
An ideal snack to keep around the house and the best way to get your grains in!
What you’ll need and some recipes you need to try immediatly:
- Spelt flour ( try my Haunted Peanut butter cookies too!)
- Olive oil ( try my Lemon Poppy Seed Snaps )
- Seeds ( try my Vanilla Almond Skillet Granola )
Note: If you don’t have spelt flour, don’t sweat it – you can substitute with whole wheat flour or buckheat flour and still end up with a yummy snack. Want more nutritional information about the ingredients? Make sure you visit my HEALTHY PANTRY.
If you “crack with me”, I’d love to hear what you think! OH…and they taste great with goat cheese spread, jam or any nut butter.
- 300 g of spelt flour
- 1 cup and 1/2 of water
- 1/3 cup + 4 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1/4 cup of oats + 6 tablespoons of poppy seeds + 7 tablespoons of sesame seeds
- 1/4 tablespoon of salt
- spices (rosemary, black pepper...)
- 1- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (350F) and line a non-stick cookie sheet.
- 2- Mix the flour, the water and the olive oil in a big bowl.
- 3- If you want add some seeds to the dough, but I've just sprinkled them after the 4 step.
- 4- Lightly flour your work surface and roll the dough into a big rectangle.
- 5- Cut the dough into your individual crackers and prick them using a fork.
- 6- Cook them for 30-35 min, until crispy!
- 7- Store the crackers in an airtight container up to 2 weeks. Freeze them too if you like!
- Add a little bit more water if necessary!
- I've never tried this recipe with coconut oil, so I'm not sure if it works as well.
- Feel free to add your favourite spices and seeds