Ripe, red and sweet…..Cherries! What else could they be?!
Summer time for me means CHERRIES! My granfather has an orchard of cherries in the north of Portugal. So, every year in June I anxiously wait to have a feast on them! It’s my favourite fruit and seriously I couldn’t live without gorging on them at least once a year …
Today to celebrate this wonderful season I’ve decided to make these precious Healthy Mini-Cherrie Pies!
Jam is a great way to preserve fruit and it goes really good with the crust of the pie. It’s fresh and creamy, without the use of any refined sugars!
You can limit yourself to only making the cherrie jam… However, a pie is a pie!
- 1 cup of coconut flour
- ½ cup of walnuts
- 2 egg
- 5 tablespoons of shredded coconut
- 4 tablespoons of melted ghee ( or coconut oil)
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of ginger
- 4 tablespoons of muscovado sugar
- 4 cups of cherries
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons of chia seeds
- 1 tablespoons of honey
- Put all the ingredients in a blender until the mixture is united and remove to a baking sheet .
- Make a ball with the dough and, then, using a large cookie cutter cut in circles.
- Choose a muffin tin cup and press carefully on the sides. If you want you can save some dough and create stripes or hearts (with the smaller cookie cutters). Repeat until you finish the mixture.
- Add the filling/jam and bake for 14-15 min on pre-heated oven at 170º.
- Start by cutting the cherries in half and then remove the stone carefully.
- Using a saucepot, heat the cherries until they start to bubble and all the juices come out.
- Next, blend the cherries- If you use a magic wand the jam will be more liquid. So if you’ re making this jam for the pie, you should use a potato masher. Squeeze those juices!!
- Add the other ingredients and transfer to a container or if you’re baking the pie, fill up the crust.