A hot bowl of creamy millet porridge with roasted chestnuts … To make you and your belly smile.
Dear porridge, you have no options. You have to be really delicious, hot, and thick!
I’ve always been so obsessed with chestnuts. Like really, really obsessed … I just love everything about them! The texture, the flavour and they bring me so many childhood memories. I would probably faint if I didn’t eat them once or twice a year. I sometimes boil them and make pureé, and other times I just roast them and have this beautiful millet porridge.
Why should you try millet? There’s no doubt that millet is an awesome cereal! Apart from the supreme corny flavour, it’s a healthy and complete ingredient. Earlier on the post I said this recipe would make your belly smile and that’s because this is one of the most easy grains to digest (helps maintaining a healthy gut!). It’s also high in fiber, protein, vitamins (like vitamin B) and magnesium! If you’re allergic to gluten, millet can be one of your new morning choices.
Want a free healthy recipe + printable recipe card? Subscribe to my blog!
- 1/4 of skim milk (see notes)
- 1/2 of water
- 1/3 of flaked millet
- 2 tablespoons of rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon of coconut sugar or of maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon of coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon + 1/4 tablespoon of ginger + 1/4 cardamom
- 4-5 roasted chestnuts (see notes)
- Add the water and the milk to a saucepan on medium heat. After boiling, add millet and mix everything. Simmer for 10-12 min until creamy and stir in the spices, coconut oil and the chestnuts. Enjoy...
- You can also use almond milk, soy milk or oat milk....
- Roast your chestnuts on a preheated oven for 30-35 min. Add a pinch of salt too!
Have you ever tried my Grilled Fish Kebabs with lemony olive oil sauce ?